Thursday 6 April 2017

Ironman Texas 70.3 (Galveston)


I flew out to Galveston this past weekend for a start to my 2017 triathlon season.  I finished last year with a tough race in Cozumel 70.3, so I was hoping that this year I would start out with a strong showing in the half distance.  Unfortunately, this race didn't go much better, and I ended up dropping out at about 14/15 km into the run.

The race started to go south midway through the bike.  I'm not sure exactly when it hit, but somewhere in the 2'nd half of 90km I could feel my "sitting area" getting quite uncomfortable.  I was able to keep pedalling, but as my discomfort worsened, my power began to drop and the suffering began.

I got off the bike feeling pretty beat up, and I didn't feel good for any of the run.  I ran the first loop (of 3 loops), walk/ran the second loop, and after starting the third loop (at a slow walk pace), I decided I had had enough.  I was able to get a ride back to the finish area to hand in my chip and end my day.

Most people tend to view dropping out as giving up or being weak.  Typically, I would be inclined to agree.  Last year I had three races where I was suffering hard and reduced to walking, but refused to quit and pushed through to the finish anyway.
In this case however, I believe dropping out was the right decision.  I was looking at another hour of walking just to finish, I already felt terrible, and the conditions were harsh.  It's also only April, and I decided it was not worth injuring myself just to finish...there is a lot of season still left.  

Racing like this isn't really all that fun.  I'm not really all that interested in putting myself through more half iron races just to hope I have a good race.  I think the rest of the season will be spent doing some shorter distances where I am already comfortable, and preparing myself to better race at 70.3 distances.  If I'm feeling good about my training and ability to race over 90km on the bike (and run off it), then another half could be on the radar for the fall (possibly Barrelman).

For now, it's time to heal up, recover, let the hair grow back on my legs, and plan out some training for the next few months.  Ontario racing will be here soon!


This place was cool

I chill bike to the beach the day before the race
The race venue
A bit of the swim/run course
My shoes getting some fresh air after the race

No comments:

Post a Comment